Monday, August 5, 2013

UN-Paper Towels

Happy Monday everyone!  I'm so excited to share my DIY Home Improvement Project from this weekend :)  For all of you Pinterest addicted out there (I'll be the first to admit that I fall into that category), how many of you have seen pins for the cloth paper towels?  I've seen a few of them and I was finally inspired to try it myself!  A budget friendly, eco friendly project to pretty up the kitchen.  Sounded great!

So I set out to get my supplies.  I bought half a yard of a fabric that really caught my attention and used two other fabrics that I had in my scrap bin (using up scraps is always great!)  And then I bought a yard of terry cloth.

Unfortunately they only had white terry cloth.  I was looking for something in a darker color so it wouldn't show stains as easily..  So I problem solved!


Tea dyeing!  This was my first attempt at tea dyeing and it was interesting..  For the future, I think I'm too impatient for it, haha.  But it was fun just the same :)

I decided to make my UN-Paper Towel pieces 12"x10".  I was able to get 3 pieces out of the fabric that I bought, and 2 pieces out of each of the two scrap fabrics that I used.  For a total of 7 UN-Paper Towels.  Then came time to add my snaps.  I bought a handy dandy tool to make this process easier (though getting used to it took a little time).  It was totally worth it once I got it figured out!  


Here are all of my wonderful pieces all ready to be snapped together to make the roll :)


I lined them all up in a pattern (the OCD in me can't help it) and snapped them in place


Then I just had to roll it together and place it on the paper towel holder!  I made the base for the roll out of a piece of poster board.  I just love the way they turned out!


I decided to go with pearl snaps since they looked so much prettier than the plain ones (and I got them for a better price which was a bonus!).


And since I was able to incorporate fabric that I used in a previous kitchen project (remember the grocery bag dispenser??) it helps to tie it all together!


Now my roommate and I won't have to spend money on paper towels!  What do you think?  Has anyone else tried to make these?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!