Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Laundry Room Makeover

So, if you haven't noticed, I have given up on the set weekly schedule for topic ideas.  It's too restricting and I lose motivation.  From now on I will blog what I feel!  And today that means the laundry room!!! Yayyy

I know.  Who would have thought I'd ever be excited over a laundry room.  I certainly didn't!  Who loves to do laundry?  No one!  Well, I was looking at my laundry room and feeling extremely unmotivated to do my laundry.  So I thought that maybe if I organized and decorated it I would be more motivated to spend time in there.  Challenge accepted!  And completed :D  Get ready for a picture heavy post!

So here's what I had to start with:





It wasn't awful but it was BORING!!  Not exactly the spot to get anyone motivated to do laundry.  So it was time to take a trip to, you guessed it, Dollar Tree.  The key to decorating with the Dollar Tree is hunting for what you are looking for and making sure it doesn't look cheap.  Because you could easily end up buying things that will look like they are from a dollar store.  Not exactly the look you're going for.  Luckily I was able to score the perfect items!!

I bought some bins and baskets that came in sets of 2 and a large bin.  But, of course, you can't find everything at the Dollar Tree so it was time to hit up Walmart.  I found the perfect candy jars for storing detergent and Borax!  Score :)  And I found them in two different sizes which is exactly what I was looking for.  I knew we needed large ones to hold detergent and Borax but needed a smaller one to hold the washing pods (we were given a bunch for free but don't plan on buying them any more, just too expensive).

Once the room was cleared out and everything was organized into their new containers, here's what we had!



Definitely an improvement!  But still not finished.  The shelves still seemed to be lacking something.  And the walls were still way to bare.  So back out shopping it was!  I picked up some foam disks (a large one from Walmart and a small one that I had on hand).  The plan: cover them in fabric and use them to store the extra buttons that come on clothes!  I always end up losing those things...  I also picked up a silver picture frame from the dollar store.  My favorite blogger over at iHeart Organizing gave me the inspiration to add a stain removal sheet found on Martha Stewart's site.  But the frame wasn't perfect so I decided to help it out! 


I decided to take some yellow paint a q-tip to transform those silver little bubbles to something that would match the room!



Much better!  It matches the decor very nicely now.  And the silver adds something to the room too.  So what about those fabric covered disks?  Well here they are in all of their glory!


Pretty cool, huh!  So now the walls were taken care of.  But what about the shelves?  Well, a mason jar that I had on hand, a new glass dish, and some labels took care of that problem!  I made some labels on my computer and printed them out.  Since I'm not cool and I don't have a Cricuit for Silhouette (though I'd LOVE to have one!) I cut them out by hand.  And what better way to attach labels in the laundry room than using clothes pins!



Cute right?!  So here's the new laundry room in all of its glory!


Do you love it as much as I do?  Since I'm in a rented apartment my room upgrade options are extremely limited.  We are allowed to paint one wall in each room as long as we paint it back white when we move out.  So trying to keep the repainting to a minimum we are only going to paint the accent wall in the living room.  So painting wasn't in the cards.  And we couldn't update the wire shelving units or add cabinets or anything.  So I had to work with the decorations instead of any permanent changes.  And I'm still very pleased with the outcome!  And now for lots of fun pictures:









So what do you think??  I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!