Friday, September 19, 2014

One Square a Day To a Finished Blanket - Intro

After a long absence from this blog - I am back!  And with one heck of a challenge.  I have decided that I want to crochet myself a blanket for my bed.  Definitely a big undertaking.  So I have decided to crochet a ton of granny squares and then attach them all.  Small, manageable granny squares will help keep me on task!

My assumption is my squares will be approximately 8"x8".  So to cover my full sized bed I will be going with 10 squares wide by 11 squares long (80"x88").  Meaning I've got 110 squares to make! 

**After making some squares I've discovered not all of my squares will be 8"x8".  So I'm unsure how many squares I will actually need.  But the plan is still make an 80"x88" blanket for my bed.

 Oh boy...  What have I gotten myself into?

First off was to find inspiration for a color palette.  Google was my best friend for this step.  I searched "color palette with blue pink gray" since I knew I wanted to try and incorporate those colors.  I found such a wide variety that I loved - it was so hard to choose.  But in the end this is the picture I settled on for inspiration:


So then it was off to Michael's to pick out my yarn!  I could have gone with yarn in my stash but I knew I didn't have enough of the right colors from my chosen color scheme.

And while I was there I came across this book:


For anyone who wants to crochet along with me, the book is available for purchase on Amazon.  I believe it's $1 more at Michael's but with my handy-dandy 50% off coupon it was cheaper :)  Hurray for coupons!

And then I picked out my yarn.  I decided to go with acrylic since it's durable and washable.  So I settled on Loops & Threads Snuggly Baby since they had the right colors.  And here they are:


The colors are not 100% true in the picture.  Starting from left to right:
Pink, Candy Pink, Dark Turquoise, Soft Mint, Soft Grey

I will be starting on Monday!  The plan is to work my way through the 99 squares from my newly purchased book, and then find 11 free granny patterns to add to the mix.

Want to participate but don't want to go buy the book?  I'll be included a round up of free granny square patterns each Friday.

So who's in??  You could even join on a smaller scale.  Do a granny square a day for a month and assemble an adorable baby blanket.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Very cool idea! I love your new background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea love the color scheme a lot. if I didn't already have so much going on I would join you. I am doing a test with granny squares to make a rather large afghan with a special join so I kind of am already doing it but the squares are all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun! Good luck on all your squares

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!