Monday, September 29, 2014

Diamonds and Cables Cardigan

I recently started my journey into the pattern designing world.  And let me tell you - it's been a blast!  I have a few patterns available for sale in my Ravelry store and my Etsy shop.   I also just released my latest pattern a few days ago - Diamonds and Cables Cardigan.


This pattern was a lot of fun to design and knit.  But also very challenging to write into a pattern.  The pattern is available from sizes preemie-6yrs.

The cardigan is knit from the top down and incorporates a simple stitch pattern for the fronts with a japanese lace pattern for the back.  The cabled yoke is worked flat and then the stitches along the edge are picked up to work the rest of the cardigan from the top down.

There are two different charts in the pattern - one for the fronts and one for the back - as well as a few tables to indicate how to incorporate the charts into the pattern.

This is an advanced knitting pattern.  My 10 test knitters and I did our best to simplify the pattern as much as possible but it is definitely not a beginner level pattern.

Yarn
I designed this pattern using leftover yarn I had in my stash.  I used Knit Picks Comfy Worsted in Zinnia.  Personally I think Knit Picks is a great brand.  It's good quality yarn at an affordable price.  Definitely something I recommend!  And it's a great option for those of us who don't live near a LYS (local yarn store) but don't always want the yarns available from Michael's, JoAnn's, or Hobby Lobby.

This particular yarn is categorized as a worsted weight.  However I could also see it working as a DK yarn.  So the options are open to knit in a DK or worsted weight.  Just make sure to get gauge!!  In this case: 21 sts x 29 rows = 4 in / 10 cm in stockinette stitch.

Depending on the yarn used - this cardigan can be used for any season.  Knit in a nice lightweight cotton and paired with a tank top underneath makes for a great summer accessory.  But knit in a wool yarn and paired with a long sleeved top could be used for those colder fall days.

Yardage
Knowing how many yards you will need is always important!  And I always recommend getting more yarn than you think you'll need because you never know.  If the idea of having a skein or two leftover keeps you up at night just keep the receipt.  You can always return or send yarn back if you haven't used any.

Preemie (Newborn, 3 mos, 6 mos, 12 mos, 18 mos, 2 yrs, 4 yrs, 6 yrs)

125 (165, 175, 210, 235, 260, 295, 335, 380) yds / 114 (150, 160, 192, 215, 238, 270, 306, 347)

You'll Also Need
4.5mm / US size 7 (circulars and DPNS)
4 stitch markers 
darning needle 
4 (4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6) buttons


Check the pattern out on Ravelry!  Browse the projects from others who have made the pattern and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!