Friday, March 14, 2014

Monthly Cleaning Challenge: Clean Out Microwave

This month it's all about getting cleaning!  I know, so exciting.  Haha.  The first step was to create a list of the things I want to accomplish.  The next step is to accomplish them!  Here's the list of the things I have already accomplished:


I know.  What an extensive list!  But I've only just started.  And today marks another accomplishment: Clean out microwave.

The microwave is definitely on the list of appliances that get used a lot, and cleaned much less often.  Since most of the time we cook fast and easy microwave foods on a time crunch, there isn't really time to clean.  But it's definitely important!  If you don't believe me, check out the before picture.


Gross.  Since I take pictures on my iPhone I know it isn't the best picture.  One day I will invest in a camera that takes higher quality photos.  But, for now, the iPhone works.

So to clean it out I had two options.  1) spend forever scrubbing and scraping to get the gunk out  2) spend much less time and effort by steaming it.  Needless to say I went with the second option.

I grabbed a microwave safe bowl and filled it with one cup of water and one cup of vinegar.  Then I placed it in the microwave and set it for 5 minutes.  Then I just had to wait.


After five minutes I took the bowl out (using a potholder cause that thing was hot!) and wiped down everything in the microwave with a damp cloth.  I took out the spinning plate and wiped both sides of that, the sides, the bottom, the top - everything.  And the yucky stuff came off so easily!  I didn't have to scrape and scrub at all.  The steam from the vinegar/water mixture did the hard work for me.


Look how clean that is!  Now I don't cringe every time I open the microwave door.  It's a good feeling :)

So let's see how many more things I plan to accomplish:
1. cycle clean appliances
2. clean out car
3. wipe down cabinets/appliances
4. wipe down trim/doors
5. clean out one drawer
6. vacuum furniture
7. vacuum mattress
8. clean oven
9. wash garbage can
10. wash windows
11. vacuum Magic's tower
12. wash bath rugs
13. change magic's litter
14. change air filter

Progress is being made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!