Tuesday, September 10, 2013

File Cabinet Update

I just recently started working as the Costume Designer in the theatre department at the University I graduated from in May.  I am so excited!  There's a nice big costume shop with great machines to work with.  But it's a little drab so I decided to do some easy, quick updates.  Not to mention inexpensive!

First up: updating the file cabinet!

There is a file cabinet in the costume shop holding all sorts of accessories.  Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and much much more!  The insides are incredible organized in labeled bins and plastic baggies.  But the outside looked...well, like this:


Boring and grungy.  I decided it needed an update :)  Plus I wanted to add labels to the cabinet so I know which accessories are in each drawer.  Making completing each costume much easier.

For the labels I cut index cards down to the right size and covered them in a light blue wrapping paper.


Once I put them in the cabinet I instantly loved the results!  But the top of the cabinet was looking grungy still so I covered that with a layer of the wrapping paper as well.  And then added a rim around the edges of the top.


Cute, right?  Then I took out the handy dandy label maker and added labels to the drawer labels.



I love the way it turned out!  So simple yet so effective.  And I bought the wrapping paper for a dollar Dollar Tree!  Can't beat that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!