Friday, November 21, 2014

Designer Take Over! - Terri Kruse


It's time for another Designer Take Over!  Joining us today is Terri Kruse.

Terri has a really great mixture of knit for all ages.  Babies, kids, teens, adults - she's got something for everyone.  She also utilizes such a wide range of techniques.  She has designs that use intarsia, stripes, cables, and a wide range of stitch patterns.  And, to keep up with this theme, she has such a wide variety of types of patterns!  Terri has designs for hats, sweaters, tops, cowls, shawls, mittens, and more!  She really does have everything.


When did you first start designing?
"Almost immediately after I started knitting.  Not officially really, but I started modifying things right away and when I didn't find what I wanted, I just made something up."

What inspired you to design?
"Mostly my want for things that didn't exist.  As I went on, I found inspiration in things around me, but initially it was mostly just me not finding what I wanted."



Let's talk about your design process!
"I generally start with sketches and I will sketch 10-20 things at a time, file them, and come back later.  Sometimes I will sketch, then search for the appropriate yarn, attempt to find yarn support, and then swatch again when the yarn arrives.  Then, I do all the math and layout a first draft.  I then knit the sample and take notes on my pattern, usually completely rewriting it.  After the sample, I do a layout in InDesign and send it along to my tech editor.  At some point, I take photos, and test knit and ... phew, then release after fixing any issues."

How would you describe your design style?
"Hmm, mostly classic, with a bit of quirkyness I guess.  This is sort of an ever-changing thing for me.  It seems the further I go on, the more I embrace my inner quirkyness and it starts to come out more and more."


As I was going through Terri's designs for this post, I was amazed by everything I saw.  The colors, the patterns, the photography.  She is the whole package.  And while quite a few were very tempting there was one that I gave in and bought right away.  Her What You Wish Scarf and Cowl pictured above.  It's stunning and I cannot wait to make my own!  She has a lot of wonderful patterns and I'll leave it up to you to choose your favorite.  For now, let's take a closer look at a few of her patterns.

Abernathy Sweater
"A top down, cabled raglan for kids sizes 12m to 8.  I think the cable pattern and how it comes together is unique.  It has a classic sort of "grown up" look to it, which I like.  I also really like shawl collars.  I've gotten many requests to upsize this to an adult version and that is just about ready.  I can't wait."


Rhombi
"Is an open front cardigan with an embellished collar and diamond purl detail on the center back.  I think the textured collar and center back diamond make this unique.  It is also just a really versatile piece of clothing.  I ove open front cardigans for this reason.  They can dress things up or down."


Anonymous Vampire
"A lace scarf or shawl depending on the size you knit.  This was my first time modifying a lace pattern, so you actually won't find this one in a stitch dictionary ...  It is similar to another, but quite.  That was fun; though I am not a big lace knitter so this was 'outside my box' a bit.  I also really love the yarn color (Tiny Bloodsucking Dance by Indigodragonfly Yarns).  It inspired the entire design."


Go Buffalo
"A top down, striped cardigan.  Simple, classic.  I love hockey and I've always had two teams (Buffalo and LA).  I found these two skeins of yarn and wanted to make a cardigan for my son and that's how it came to be.  The colors reminded me of old school Buffalo Sabres colors.  I have had requests for this to also be upsized and so I am working on an adult version, but in LA colors (I really can't pull off that much blue and gold)."


Little Spare Time
"A top down raglan with a fun collar detail and pockets for kids sizes 12m-10.  The collar is pretty unique.  The shape of it.  I really love everything about this sweater.  It's really cute, a little bit classic, but modern and really wearable.  It is also my favorite color and done in one of my favorite yarns ever (Verdant Gryphon Traveller: Smuggler's Notch)."



Want more from Terri?
Check out her designer page on Ravelry HERE
Check out her blog HERE
Check her out on Facebook HERE
Find her on Twitter @ninja8tofu
Find her on Instagram as ninja8tofu9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :D It makes me so happy to read all of the comments! I do moderate the comments so if your comment doesn't show up right away just check back later!